Wednesday Words

I am not driven by results. I don’t check my blog stats unless a PR company asks me for them then I will glance over them before sending but I removed the Jetpack thing so now actually have to go to Google Analytics and honestly it’s a mission and it doesn’t really bug me.

What does bug me, however, is the drastic decrease in comments over the last few weeks :(

I know a lot of you read through readers and often don’t have much to say – I get that – I am the same but still the volumes have really gone down.

I have rarely had a post with 20 plus comments and that is not what I am going for but do so enjoy the regulars who comment and ever now and then someone new pops in and it makes me feel good.

NO I don’t write for the comments – I write for me but the comments are nice. It means someone hears me and agrees with me or disagrees. I suppose in a way it is validation and some may say self indulgent but it still means a fair amount to me.

My life is far from hecticly exciting – most days I am consumed by the mundane chaos of every day life with a toddler who has an obsession with climbing, a kid who lives in Never never land and an over achieving tween, a ADHD dog, an over stressed bird and a hamster with ever growing growth and a triathalon obsessed fiance.

There are no sex scandals over here, no stories of wild parties, no crazy encounters – it’s all pretty average and pretty normal I am afraid.

Maybe I am just feeling a little sorry for myself :-p

What are your thoughts on this?

Comments

1. says

Not into stats either, thank goodness. Can you imagine what that would do to my occasionally fragile self-confidence?
    I do hear what you are saying. I blog for me too but words of affirmation happens to be one of my primary love languages so yes, people commenting on my blog DOES feed into that. I have my FANTASTIC regular commenters who have become real life friends and then occasionally I have someone new and it just THRILLS me because really, I don’t even advertise my blog on SM – so they must have come from somewhere?
    I don’t know if it’s a time of year thing or an instagram thing (I read a blog post the other day from someone who says that instagram killed all blogging related matters for her) or what. But I do hope it passes at some point and that people become less busy maybe? I must write a post on the fact that I ALWAYS attract the busy types. Eish.

2. says

well. I have plenty to say but lots of work so i’ll keep it short. Did you see my post on the organising blog? Imagine how demotivated I am with about 1400 regular readers and 2 comments on average (which means sometimes 4 and 2 of those are my responses :) and sometimes 0)

Oy!

Anywya, I haven’t commented on the gratitude stuff – it just doesn’t float my boat to have a gratitude journal (I’ve tried about 4 times in the last 2 years). I’m grateful but generally so. It takes something away from me when I’m super intentional about that. Weird!

3. says

I think all bloggers are seeing a fall in their comments. I got people which stated their companies block blogging sites (this is what most people use to read blogs). But I do feel the same as you. It’s sad and frustrating to see that they comments have dropped, even on my blog :(

4. Faieza says

My guess is everyone is really busy.

Love the gratitude challenge. I try to think of all the things I’m grateful as soon as I wake up, before my mind is full of the thousand or more thoughts for the day.

5. says

I read your blog quite a bit, admittedly not every day or every time you post, but generally a few times a week.
    i don’t always comment tho, most times the kids draw me away and I forget..

it’s also the silly season :)

6. deborah says

As a non blogger i love reading your blogs (actually there are a couple i love to follow. Its like mt own little “fix” i get looking into other peoples lives and getting to know them with out actually meeting them. I try and comment if i feel my input will help else i just read without commenting. Dont like the password protected posts cos sometimes i feel im intruding if i ask for password.

7. says

No-one has ever asked me what my stats are and I generally don’t keep track either, but I know what you mean. I get warm & fuzzy whenever I get a comment on my blog. :)

8. says

I read more blogs than those I comment on. I usually don’t just comment for the sake of commenting though (I would only comment if I feel like I am making a meaningful contribution). Maybe people are just busy, maybe they don’t feel like they have anything to add to what you blogged (or blog) about, who knows.

Right now I don’t comment as much as I used to for a couple of reason, I don’t have internet at home, I am super busy at work, I got a new phone and for some reason most blogspot posts just don’t open on it and when I open with Opera Mini it is a hassle to comment and WP for some weird reason, I hardly get the text box to make comments.

9. says

I think everyone is feeling the same Laura. I find it a bit odd when I run into someone and they start talking to me about what they read but they never comment – feels a bit one sided, but oh well – I guess it is what it is? I’m almost always a few days behind on commenting but I’m still here, promise.