I have been meaning to write this post for ages but there is much wedding buzz happening around here at the moment – I went to a bridal shower on Saturday and then saw the photos Louisa took at her brothers wedding – seriously go and check out the cake - if it doesn’t make you stop what you are doing and make a chocolate cake, then nothing will! It was beautiful!!!!
So I decided to share my list of things I learnt when planning our wedding.
- DO NOT skimp on the photographer! If it means cutting your guest list then CUT THE GUEST list! At least you will have decent photos to show those who weren’t there! Not everyone with a camera and “photography” behind their name can take a good photo. It is the most special day of your life, you want all the magic captured well!
- Get a proper baker to bake your cake. We all have an aunt or cousin who bakes delicious banana bread and milk tart but can she make you a 3 tier dark chocolate mousse cake? With hand made sugar paste fondants on top? Probably not! So unless Aunt Jacoba bakes wedding cakes for a living rather find someone more qualified!
- Find a venue that is all inclusive. One of the many things I loved about our venue was that everything was included. I wasn’t running around looking for tablecloths to hire or chair covers or stressing about caterers – they did it all! They even have a decor lady on site that you can use. She came in so handy when we had a overlay crises the day before the wedding – one phone call and it was sorted! THIS makes all the difference!
- Try and find a quiet venue or one that limits the number of weddings they do. Imperfect Perfection does one wedding a weekend. So by Friday 17h00 the venue is set up – the hall is ready, the chapel is ready, the bunting was hung. When I arrived the next day at 13h00 I didn’t have to check a thing because it was already all done! There was no stressing, no last minute panic. We weren’t rushed out afterwards, no one was setting up tables while we were still partying.
- If you are going to have kids in the wedding party – do not expect anything from them. The photos that will be the best are the ones caught of them being kids. Jack never made it down the isle, in fact I don’t think he even got properly dressed. It meant my mom missed the ceremony but that is unfortunately how it goes with toddlers. They may look cute on Pinterest but it rarely happens like that
- Then once you are in your dress, hair done, make up on and portrait shots taken – ENJOY IT! It all does work out in the end!
All these photos where taken by Jeanette