Barbie turns 58 today! She is probably the best looking 58 year old I know and also the most loved. Today was also the day she was unveiled to the toy industry during New York Toy Fair in 1959. Her debut was in the now-famous black-and-white striped swimsuit and polished off with her signature ponytail – a hair style representative of the times.
A few interesting facts about Barbie that you may not have known
- The first Barbie doll was sold for $3.00
- Barbie® doll’s full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts. She is from (fictional) Willows in Wisconsin where she attended High School.
- Barbie® doll’s first pet was a horse named Dancer
- The best-selling Barbie® doll ever was 1992 Totally Hair™ doll, with hair from the top of her head to her toes.
- In 2016, the best-selling doll in the Barbie® Fashionista line was a brunette Latina with a “curvy,” build and brown eyes. The Fashionistas® line was expanded in 2016 to include three new body types – tall, curvy and petite – and a variety of skin tones, hair styles and outfits.
- Barbie® has a powerful social media presence with over 13,8 million fans on Facebook, 262,000 followers on Twitter and over 900,000 followers on Instagram (@Barbie).
- @BarbieStyle launched in 2014 and quickly reached 1.7 million followers – it is one of the fastest growing fashion Instagram channels to date.
- In 2015, Barbie® launched her first video blog (vlog) on YouTube.
- To date, Barbie® has starred in more than 30 DVDs taking on roles from a super hero to rockstar.
- The Barbie® brand spot “Imagine the Possibilities” was selected as one of the most iconic ads of 2015, based on this year’s YouTube Ads Leaderboard.
- The #DadswhoplayBarbie campaign video which is currently running until end March 2017 has had over 1,68 million views on YouTube to date.
- Barbie® doll has had 180+ inspirational careers. Every year since 2011, Barbie® doll has introduced a career that has been under represented by women – some of those careers include computer engineer, architect, entrepreneur and film director.
- Barbie® first broke through the plastic ceiling as a business executive in 1985.
- Barbie® travelled into space in 1965, four years before man walked on the moon.
- Although she has never won an election, Barbie® has run for president 6 times since 1992.
- It takes a professional staff of top fashion designers, makeup artists and the most elite couturiers – more than 100 people in all – to create a Barbie® doll and her fashions.
- Barbie® has been a muse to many artists over the past 5+ decades – including Andy Warhol and Peter Ma.
- Fifty of the world’s top designers created couture looks for the first-ever Barbie® runway show in celebration of Barbie® doll’s 50th birthday.
- Barbie® is the most popular fashion doll ever produced, and the brand continues to dominate sales in the fashion doll segment with gross sales in 2014 of $1.01 billion worldwide.
- Since 2011, the brand has consistently produced worldwide annual gross sales in excess of $1 billion.
- Barbie® is the No.1 doll property in the US.
- Today, a mint condition “#1” (1959 Barbie doll) can fetch as much as $27,450 at auction, as was the case with an extremely rare #1 blonde doll in a May 2006 auction held by Sandi’s Doll Attic.
- The most expensive Barbie®, however, was designed in partnership with Australian jewellery designer Stefano Canturi to raise money for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. The doll sold for $302,500 at auction in 2010.
- The Barbie® collecting craze really took off in the 1990s, thanks to the advent of eBay and the introduction of designer Barbie® dolls, including the Bob Mackie Gold Barbie®, which featured 5,000 hand-sewn golden sequin accents.
To celebrate this iconic dolls birthday I have a stunning hamper to giveaway to the value of R1529.
The hamper includes
Barbie Spaghetti Doll and Playset R599.99
Young chefs can explore restaurant ownership and culinary careers with Barbie doll while cooking up a spaghetti and meatball dinner using pasta and meatball dough! Two dough colors are included along with an easy-to-use tool that creates pasta noodles with a simple push of the lever. Insert your selected dough into the pasta maker, then push the lever down to move the dough through the opening. Cook up the pasta noodles in the pot on the stove in the kitchen with brick-detailed background stovetop, oven, counter and cabinet. Then twist the noodles into a bowl and roll meatballs to top off the spaghetti dish!
Barbie Play Set R449.99
Barbie doll comes with lots of glam outfits and accessories to create different outfits with ease. A simple change means Barbie is ready for a busy day in town or a night of dancing at night.
Barbie Career Doll Firefighter R249.99
Dream big with Barbie® career dolls! Barbie® doll can take on any goal. Explore all of the Barbie® career dolls because with Barbie®, you can be anything.
Barbie Princess Doll R229.99
This princess doll is inspired by her fairytale rainbow kingdom. Fun touches include details like rainbow beads on the rainbow her bodice and rainbow stripes on her skirt. She also comes with a cute pair of shoes and a removable matching tiara for her long locks to complete the look. Collect all of the Barbie fairytale dolls for endless storytelling possibilities!
To enter tell me how old you were when you got your first Barbie. If you never had a Barbie, just leave a comment wishing Barbie a happy birthday!
If you enjoyed this post please share with your friends! You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat (harassedmom) and don’t forget to subscribe to my weekly newsletter.