In less two weeks the year will be done! A new year will be here and many of us will be planning and preparing for the new school year. It all happens so fast doesn’t it? We start Grade 1 next year, Grade 9 and Grade 10! Can you handle that? I will have a sixteen year old next year!
I can’t say 2017 was a good year but I can’t say it was bad year either. We have had some really amazing wins and both David and I are doing well professionally. The kids have all reached their milestones (including tantrums, snotty attitudes and teen moods).
2017 has taught me a lot, mainly about raising teens but also about parenting in general. You would think with 4.5 kids under my belt I would have a better handle on things wouldn’t you?
These are a few of the lessons I have learnt in the past 12 months.
- Bullying is more rife than I think anyone realises and NO child is immune.
- You don’t always have to do what everyone else is doing. This isn’t a new lesson but one I was reminded of this year.
- Daily affirmations can be really powerful. If you don’t listen to any, you should start.
- I really don’t like travelling on the Gautrain during peak hours.
- I don’t mind getting old but the changes (ie weight gain) that I can only attribute to my age and changing hormones SUCK! I have been eating well for weeks and have actually PUT on more weight.
- I learnt that you aren’t allowed to stuff owls in America or France (thanks David Sedaris).
- I definitely do not ever want to go back to a 9-5 job.
- It is not possible to make enough food to satisfy the needs of a 15 and 6 year old boy.
- There are many teachers who really should rather not be teachers.
- A good teacher, however, can change the course of a child’s life.
- My kids are awesome, all of them. They handle whatever we throw at them with humour.
What did 2017 teach you?
If you enjoyed this post please share with your friends! You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat (harassedmom) and don’t forget to subscribe to my weekly newsletter.