Check out The Moms blog for more ATWT
Today I am doing thirteen things I would do if I won the lotto – assuming though that I have a paid off house, car, no debt – it would be for me to with as I please!
So if I won the lotto I would
1. Book a week at the Table Bay hotel in Cape Town and book every single spa treatement they offer – some twice if I have time
2. Buy hand bags – one to match each outfit and a few just cos they are cute
3. Buy an exorbatantly priced pair of shoes – JUST so I can say I have a pair of expensive shoes
4. Buy out Temptations – I LOVE underwear
5. Take my friends on a shopping spree and just buy stuff we like – doesnt matter if it fits or is practical
6. Take the kids to the Elephant sanctuary and spend as much time as we could there.
7. Buy ALL the cds that I have on my list – there are lots so would probably take me all day to pick them all out.
8. Buy a camera – a big fancy pancy camera with all the cool accesories
9. Go on a photography course
10. Buy copies of all my favourite books
11. Get all dressed up in a designer dress, dress soccer boy up and go have a romantic dinner at the Westcliff and spend the night in the most expensive suite they have drinking REAL champagne!
12. Send Ansie away for a weekend – somewhere they have no cell phone reception, no kids and make sure she orders room service all weekend and doesnt get out of bed!
13. And lastly – I would throw a HUGE party!! Invite all my friends, hire caterers and waiters and just have one big party!!!!!!
Join in Thursday Thirteen here
South Africa has crime – alot of crime according to our stats.
Despite that I have felt we are ok because our kids arent angry, they arent killing each other like they appeared to be doing in the States or the UK. Our child on child violence seemed under control.
Until recently. It seems we have caught up and it is exceptionally frightening. Over the last few weeks the number of school attacks have dramatically increased.
We had an overweight child who was bullied and eventually stabbed to death in the head. A sword wielding teenager who killed a fellow pupil and injured 3 other people. A group of high school pupils who were late, locked out of the school and got so out of control the cops had to be called. And these are just a few of the stories that made the news.
My mom is a teacher at a primary school (up to Gr 7) and she reports daily on the fights that occur there.
WHY? What has gone wrong? What has made our children so angry?
I dont remember me or my friends ever being so angry we wanted to kill someone or even harm them!
This kind of violence scares me more than the hijackings and the armed robberies. These kids are our future leaders.
Its easy to say its TV or music or play stations or Harry Potter or a various number of elements that CAN be controlled. But the reality is I think parents are letting their kids down somewhere! TV can be controlled, age appropriate games can be bought (or not) – the power is with the parent to set the boundaries.
Its NOT the teachers job or society in general to ensure my child has manners, respect and knows right from wrong – thats MY responsibility. And it IS hard – very hard. To switch the tv off when your child is throwing a tantrum or refuse to let them play a play station game where they chop peoples heads off when all their friends are doing.
But I reckon the pay off is worth it!
Could you do it?
There was a discussion on the radio today about this – could you forgive beyond what you thought possible?
It was the anniversary of the death of Amy Biehl on the 25 August and the discussion was around that fact that her parents have set up the Amy Biehl Foundation and employ 2 of the men who were instrumental in her death!
This led to the question about forgiveness and the consensus – after listeners called in – was that Amys parents were a unique kind of person and honestly I think I agree.
I am not sure I could work side by side with the people who were involved in the killing of my child. No matter how transformed they are.
I can forgive my ex for hitting me and Mr Heartbreak for breaking the trust I had in him and I can forgive the friend who let me down when I needed her – all those things are easy to forgive but the murderers of my child – nope dont think I am there.
Could you forgive beyond what you thought possible?
I have been feeling VERY unmotivated at work and am hoping a few days off will help me feel a little more inspired!
So I am off from Wednesday!
I am hoping to spend a bit of time with soccer boy.
But if I dont its no big deal – I have a book I want to finish and about 5 movies I have taped that I want to watch.
I am looking forward to having nothing to do and nowhere to go – even if it is only for 3 days!
And it looks SMASHING!
Its the first time in my life (no REALLY) that I have dyed my hair!! Ansie did it for me – I would have never been able to do it on my own!!
I tried to get pics but sadly my self potrait abilities SUCK! Anyhoo here it is! Its not DRAMATIC but the red is pretty visible!
Even soccer boy was sweet enough to comment on the pic he got sent (and really you cant see it at ALL in his pic)
More fun in the sun this week! I actually wanted to share the pics I took of our soccer day on Friday – I have some really cool ones but dont have permission so couldnt!
So here are some of my favourites from today!
Join in the Weekly Winners on Lotus blog!
It was Open Day at Camerons school today.
So off I went and it hit me like a ton of bricks!!!!! My son is going to Grade 1 next year and I am not ready! I am not ready yet for him to be a school going child.
The principal today said she knows this is a huge milestone for parents! And I think its my biggest one so far. I dont get all weepy at their birthdays or when they do something cool but today I had tears!
This is BIG! Its like moving from being a mom of toddlers to a mom of a boy. A boy who, this time next year, will be reading and writing and learning that candles need oxygen to stay alight.
And I am not ready! I will be ready though. I have four months to get ready. Four months to let go of him a little bit.
This growing up thing is hard!
This isnt the best photo but I love it! My mom was reading to them from an Encyclopedia she bought Cameron for his birthday!
My dad has nicknamed him the Nutty Proffesor – he LOVES his books and he LOVES learning about Space, countries and well pretty much anything!
Carrie has LOADS more Photos here!
Lasts weeks posts had a rather negative spin – it was a crap week! This week however has been loads better – LOADS!
Single Mom Redefining inspired this entry! So here are a few of the good things that have happened this week.
1. TWO people called me about my CV – this isnt in response to a job but rather they want to OFFER me a job. The one was totally unsuitable. Not sure yet about the second, we keep missing each other. She will call tomorrow.
2. I got my work mojo back and have had a very productive week so far.
3. I got paid (YAY)
4. I had date night (and date 2 tomorrow night) and another one next week (different guy)
5. One of my close friends got a new job (she has been looking for months)
6. Its getting warmer and the days are so pretty!
7. There has just been SOOOO much blog love going around this week – its just so super cool!!
8. Tomorrow we have a team building – action soccer! The main reason I want to go is to get some pics!!
Its been a GOOD week and the next few days are fulled with things that can only make it better!!