Ultimate Steak Sandwich
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 211
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 24g
Saturated Fat 5g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 7g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrates 20g
Dietary Fiber 2g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- Makes 4
- 4 Sasko regular plain white bread rolls
- 300g rump steak (at room temp)
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion (sliced)
- Pinch salt
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1tbsp sugar
- 1 large gherkin (finely diced)
- 4tbsp mayonnaise
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- Rocket/lettuce to serve
- Step 1: Put a frying pan on high heat.
- Step 2: Season the steak with salt and pepper.
- Step 3: Once the pan is smoking hot place the steak in the pan. (You don’t need to add oil as this causes smoke and when the steak browns it forms its own juices that stop it from sticking.)
- Step 4: Fry for 2 ½ minutes on each side for medium rare and 3 minutes on each side for medium.
- Step 5: Remove from the pan and set aside to rest.
To make the caramelised onions
- Step 1: Put the olive oil, onions and salt in a pan and sauté the onions for about 5 minutes until they are translucent.
- Step 2: Add the sugar and balsamic and fry for a further 2 minutes until nicely caramelised.
- Step 3: Set aside to cool.
To make the gherkin mayo
- Step 1: Simply mix the gherkin, mayonnaise and Dijon mustard.
- Step 2: Slice the rolls in half and toast them lightly under the grill.
- Step 1: Spread a little of the gherkin mayonnaise onto each of the rolls and top with lettuce/rocket, slice the steak and share the slices between the four rolls.
- Step 2: Top with caramelised onions and serve.
- Tip 1: When cooking steak: it is important that the steak is at room temperature, if you cook the steak straight from the fridge it will affect the cooking time and often leave the centre of the steak cold/underdone.
- Tip 2: It is also important to let the steak ‘rest’ for 2-3 minutes after cooking because if you slice it straight away all of the juices will pour out of the steak and result in the meat being dry.
Harassed but happy mommy blogger http://www.harassedmom.co.za/