I know winter is pretty much done here in South Africa, but I really don’t mind the cold. I think I might prefer it to the warm weather, especially as I get older and my body struggles to regulate my internal temperature. It is such a gorgeous time of year though isn’t it? It’s still cool but warms up nicely during the day.
As we get ready to say goodbye to winter, I am looking back as part of #HappinessHappens month and sharing why winter made me happy.
- Winter food. I love winter food! I am all about soups and stews that can be thrown in the slow cooker.
- Winter wardrobes are perfect if you are carrying a couple extra kg’s because you can layer up and a scarf can hide just about any size muffin top. That aside though, jerseys and onesies are super comforting and comfortable.
- Beautiful clear blue days. Winter isn’t our rainy season, so we have some of the most amazing clear, blue winter days. While it does get cold, it is not unbearable cold, and we can still get outside and enjoy the clear days.
- School holidays during the winter months mean no early school runs, so we get to sleep in.
- Hot chocolate. Is there really anything else to say here? Is hot chocolate as nice in any other month?
- If you are lucky enough to have a fireplace then you must live for winter. I know I would. My parents have a fire place and there is something about having a fire going, not only does it warm the house, but it just sets such a great atmosphere.
- Winter also means a lack of bugs. There are no mozzies or flies or other such annoying things.
What makes you happy in winter?