I will admit that until very recently I thought you only needed a probiotic when you took a strong antibiotic. As I learn more about gut health I am realising that we all should be taking a probiotic daily, even if we don’t have obvious gut issues.
What is a probiotic?
The dictionary defines it as:
denoting a substance which stimulates the growth of microorganisms, especially those with beneficial properties (such as those of the intestinal flora).
Probiotics are live microorganisms that are beneficial to health. Via effects on the microbiome and on the human body itself, probiotics may impact every facet of health.*
- They help balance the good and the bad bacteria. I never knew that a lot of our overall health comes from our gut. Probiotics help to colonise the good bacteria so your body is able to fight off bacterial infections.
- Probiotics help with absorption. The villi of the intestinal wall increase the total surface are of your intestinal wall which helps with absorption. A daily probiotic helps to rebuild and repair these villi. If they are not repaired, you could end up suffering from leaky gut and associated conditions. You are also not able to absorb food if these are damaged.
- Your mood will improve. This was another fun fact for me to discover but the good bacteria in your tummy produce nervous system chemicals that help to regulate and enhance your mood. About 95% of your body’s serotonin is produced in your gut. True story!!!
- Improved appearance of your skin. If you have tried various skincare products but nothing seems to be working, perhaps you need a probiotic? We all know skin issues are often caused by nutritional and hormonal imbalances. These issues all start in the gut. So if you improve your gut health and your body is better able to absorb nutrients the your skin will also improve.
- A good probiotic can help you maintain and possible even lose weight. Research points to a balanced gut increasing your metabolism which can help with weight loss.
Everything, it appears, begins in your gut which is why it is so important to do whatever you can to maintain your balance in your gut.
One of the ways to do this is through a daily probiotic. You can also increase your fermented food intake.
I have been taking the Metagenics UltraFlora Balance for just over a month and I am starting to really feel the difference. I wasn’t convinced that I actually need to take one but I am now and will definitely keep taking this!!
It is not something you can take for a while, then stop and hope everything stays balanced. You need to keep taking it. I am also increasing the amount of fermented food I eat and drink because I do think you need to look at gut health holistically.
The next step is to get the kids onto the Metagenics Kids as soon as possible to try get their gut balanced and healthy.
There are a few probiotic brands out there but I was really impressed with this one and how I could actually feel a difference. This is one of those products that you can’t really get the cheapest one on the market.