Remember back in the day when all microwaves did was defrost and make stuff hard in the middle? Now they can pretty much prepare a gourmet meal for you with the touch of a button. It is probably one of my most favourite advancements in technology.
My regular readers will know how much I dislike cooking, especially dinner. For the most part my family get meals I can cook in minutes or throw in one pot/pan/dish.
If the older kids are able to prepare the meal by themselves then this is first prize! This Chicken Mug Pie may just be the winner because it ticks all the boxes!
Cape Town peeps, this is a nice recipe for you guys because it uses minimal dishes.
- For the Filling
- 3-4 Tbls cooked chicken
- 2 Tbls frozen vegetables (peas and carrots)
- 1½ tsp cornflour (corn starch, or replace with potato starch)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbls chicken stock
- 1Tbls full fat milk (replace with cream for extra body)
- For the Biscuit topping
- 4 Tbls flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ Tbls butter, cubed
- 3½ Tbls milk (or buttermilk)
- 1 Tbls chopped herbs
- 1. Add the chicken, vegetables and corn starch to a microwavable mug and mix well, then pour in the stock and milk and stir. Set aside.
- 2. For the biscuit topping: Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 3. Using a fork, rub the cubed butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Then stir the milk and herbs in to form a batter.
- 4. Scoop the batter on top of the chicken pie mix.
- 5. Microwave for 2-2.5 minutes, until the biscuit batter is firm on top.
Anyone else find cooking a mission?
If you enjoyed this post please share with your friends! You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat
(harassedmom) and don’t forget to subscribe to my weekly newsletter.