I am on a little bit of a mission at the moment to add as many healthy foods to our diet as I can. Tumeric is one of those underrated spices. Up until recently I thought of tumeric as the spice that make stuff yellow but it is so much more than that.
What are some of the benefits of tumeric you may be wondering?
- It is an anti-inflammatory
- Tumeric increases the antioxidant capacity of the body
- It has been linked to improved brain function
- It lowers your risk of heart disease
- There have also been studies that show patients with arthritis respond to taking tumeric daily
Adding tumeric to your meals is one way to get this spice in but it can also be taking as is with some water or in tablet form.
Back to this recipe! This is a delicious tart that is both gluten and dairy free. The original recipe does contain a lot of syrup which isn’t great if you are trying to reduce sugar so switch it out for honey or proper maple syrup (not maple flavoured syrup). You can also switch the brown sugar out for whatever sugar substitute you are using.
Not all oats are gluten free so make sure you buy oats that are gluten free. Most health shops will have them.
It is a dessert though so it is designed to be a little indulgent.
Do you take tumeric daily?