I missed Milk Tart day but it is never too late to share a good recipe right? This is a delicious recipe that is ideal to bake if you are expecting company for tea and cake. Everyone loves a milk tart but this one has a little bit of a twist which promises to impress.
- 1 roll puff pastry, thawed
- 4 rooibos tea bags
- 4 cardamom pods
- 120 ml honey
- 900 ml milk
- 25 ml butter
- 60 ml Sasko Cake Flour
- 120 ml Maizena
- 45 ml brown sugar
- 3 extra large eggs, separated
- 7.5 ml Moir’s Vanilla Essence
- Cinnamon sugar for sprinkling
- Line a pie dish of ± 24 cm in diameter with the pastry.
- Combine the tea, cardamom, honey, milk and butter in a saucepan. Bring to the boil.
- Switch off the heat and leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags and cardamom pods. Heat again.
- Mix together the flour, Maizena and sugar.
- Mix the egg yolks, 125 ml of the heated liquid and the vanilla essence together.
- Add the Maizena mixture and mix until smooth.
- Add a little of the warm liquid and mix until smooth.
- Add this to the remainder of the warm liquid.
- Stir over very low heat until thick. Remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the milk mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pastry shell.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 220 °C for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 190 °C and then bake for a further 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.
- Makes 1 tart
If you enjoyed this post please share with your friends! You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat
(harassedmom) and don’t forget to subscribe to my weekly newsletter.