I think I may just be cancelling holidays! When my children are at home for the holidays, the seem to have insatiable appetites. They have not stopped eating since we started our break. I have started baking once a week now so they have something to snack on but they devour whatever I bake in seconds, it is often too hot for them to hold but they eat it.
Easter is around the corner and I have a family of chocolate lovers. When asked if we should buy chocolate or dinner, my kids always collectively reply chocolate. So we seldom bake without adding chocolate of some sort, whether the recipe calls for it or not.
These chocolate buns aren’t just perfect for Easter but for any special occasion or just for those Sunday afternoons when you need something yummy. If your kids aren’t as mad about cream cheese as they are about chocolate, you can fill these with whipped cream for them.
JENNY MORRIS’S FILLED EASTER BUNS WITH CHOCOLATE SAUCE
- 110 g SASKO CAKE WHEAT FLOUR
- 175 ml water
- 75 g butter – cubed
- Salt – a pinch
- 3 eggs
- 200 g dark chocolate – finely chopped
Cream cheese mixture
- Zest of 1 orange – finely grated
- Honey – to taste
- 150 g cream cheese
- 100 g mascarpone
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 50 g flaked almonds
- Fresh strawberries or seasonal fruits
- Preheat the oven to 200 C
- Sift the flour.
- Pour the water into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the butter and a pinch of salt to the hot water.
- Once the butter has melted, add all the flour and stir until the flour is incorporated and starts to pull away from the sides of the saucepan as one ball.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to cool.
- Now beat the eggs in one at a time with an electric whisk until it is smooth and glossy.
- Drop 8 mounds of dough onto a silicone-covered baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until well risen and golden.
- Prick buns with a skewer to let the steam escape.
- 10. Turn the oven off and return the buns to dry out.
- Melt the chocolate pieces in a glass bowl over a saucepan filled with boiling water (don’t let the base of the bowl touch the water).
- Leave it to one side until you serve.
Cream cheese mixture
- Zest the orange into a bowl.
- Add the honey and cream cheese and mix together.
- Mash the mascarpone into the mixture.
You might want to also check out our chocolate crepe stack as a yummy Easter treat.