Yesterday was chocolate day and I had planned to publish this then but we were so busy indulging in hot chocolate and burgers that I didn’t get around to it. It is never really the wrong time to discuss chocolate is it? We are a family of chocolate lovers, Emma can eat a slab of chocolate like it is bite size bar.
We all have our favourites;
My absolute favourite are those little blue Lindt blues with the coconut liquid gold inside. Sheer perfection.
David is all about the new Cadbury Oreo slab.
Cameron picks the top deck
Kiara is nuts about wholenut
Jack love the mint one and
Emma will eat anything that contains chocolate – seriously if it has chocolate she will eat it. Even a 80% Lindt bar!!
What are your families favourites?
I did some research on chocolate and found out some rather surprising facts!
- In 2007, a jewel thief made off with $28 million dollars of gems. He was able to gain the trust of the guards working the bank in Antwerp, Belgium, by repeatedly offering them chocolate. (Beware of people offering you chocolate regularly :-p)
- Chocolate has over 600 flavor compounds, while red wine has just 200.
- Montezuma II, the Aztec emperor, used to drink more than 50 cups of chocolate every day. (That’s 2 cups every single hour of the day)
- It takes approximately 400 cacao beans to make 450 gr. of chocolate.
- The inventor of the Chocolate Chip Cookie sold the idea to Nestle Toll House in return for a lifetime supply of chocolate. (This seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.)
There are loads more interesting facts like chocolate gives you a more intense mental high and gets your heart beating more than kissing does.
We love baking with cocoa just as much as we love eating chocolate.
Some of our favourite things to make with cocoa;
- Date balls. These are still such a hit with my kids!
- Avocado chocolate mousse. I know some of you don’t believe me but I made this a few times and my kids absolutely loved it.
- Chocolate cake. Is there anything more delicious than a chocolate cake straight out the oven?
- Hot cocoa. Kiara and Emma love this. It is best made in a saucepan on the stove.
- Brownies. Cameron is on a (lifelong) search for the perfect brownie! So he often makes brownies in an attempt to create the perfect one.