Now that all the festivities are done many of us are in full on back to school prep mode. We have a big year this year with Jack going to Grade 1. It is going to be a bit of an adjustment for me because I haven’t packed lunchboxes or done homework since Kiara was in Grade 4 (so 4 years ago).
We have also had to relook at the way Cameron eats because as he grows (and GROWS) and trains harder (he may or may not be becoming one of those okes you see in the gym, boet) he needs MORE to sustain his body and last year we just were not getting it right. So, with my mom’s help we have a meal plan for him and ultimately the entire the family that includes lunches for school.
I have had kids in primary school for 10 years now and I can tell you school lunches are one of the toughest things to get right. If you have a child in school, you will understand. Honestly, I am all for lunches made at school (not tuck shop lunches) but canteen style lunches. (Random side note – the boys at St Albans get sushi served in their canteen)
I have been trawling the internet for ideas for lunches. SASKO were kind enough to help me with my search and have sent me some great sandwich suggestions that I am going to share with you.
SASKO SAM IS BACK!!!
You will now see the new SASKO Sam Yummy Premium Slices and More Slices brown and white loaves of bread on shelf in your favourite grocery stores.
SASKO understands how January is often manic with the New Year, back to work and back to school hype – more so for those who are parents, and who are preparing lunch for their own children. We to celebrate these important milestones, and having SASKO Sam with us during these moments, makes them all that more special.
- Good old peanut butter. We love peanut butter in our house. We go through buckets of it each month. It is such a great source of protein and easy to get the kids to eat. If your kids are a little more adventurous then you can add some jam to the sandwich. Use SASKOs Yummy loaf for this, it is also the best loaf if your child is a little fussy about eating bread with seeds in etc.
- Chicken and mayo sandwich. This is my favorite sandwich. There are few things nicer than fresh bread and chicken and mayo. You can add a little onion, gherkin or even tomato into the mix.
- Club sandwich. This is a great option for bigger kids who need a little more food. This sandwich has bacon, chicken and cheese so is packed with protein and the tomato and lettuce add a bit of balance.
- Steak sandwich is a great one if you are having steak for dinner, you can use the left overs for this sandwich. Adding the steak mix onto a roll gives the kids a change from the bread. You could also substitute the steak for burger patties or even chicken.
- Beef and cheese please. This is one of those on the go, no time to be fancy sandwiches but is always a winner. If you have older kids, they can make this themselves! The SASKO Yummy loaf is perfect for this sandwich as well.
To make it super easy for you I have put a shopping list together for you. All you need to do is print it out and take it with you!!!
What are some of your kids favourite sandwich fillings? We are always looking for new ideas so I would love to hear what you make for your kids.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post.
If you enjoyed this post please share with your friends! You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat (harassedmom) and don’t forget to subscribe to my weekly newsletter.