I found this original recipe on Pinterest and it sounded absolutely delicious and it did not disappoint. It was so easy to prepare and it was absolutely delicious.
The original recipe calls for cream and cheese, you can alternate these easily with vegan options.
This is a budget friendly recipes as it yields a lot – I think we got about 6/8 meal servings from this.
- 1 tsp coconut oil (or whatever oil you use)
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced
- 2.5 cups vegetable stock.
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (I used my homemade tomato sauce)
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 2 cans mixed beans (you can really use any beans)
- 1 can corn
- 3/4 cup dried lentils
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup coconut cream (you could also use orley whip)
- salt and pepper to taste
- crushed tortilla chips (I used Doritos)
- sliced or diced jalapeños
- chopped red onion
- sliced avocado
- fresh cilantro
- sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1. Place all ingredients into the slow cooker.
- 2. Put the slow cooker on high and leave it to just cook.
- 3. The lentils will take the longest to cook, once they are done your meal is ready.
- 4. Dish up and then pile on the toppings of your choice or just eat as it is.
Slow cooker meals are my favourite, preparation is so easy and you can just leave it to make magic.