The kids and I have had so much fun with this craft challenge. My favourite was the bottle tops, there is still so much more I want to do with them. The kids definitely had the best time with this weeks activity. They spent ages creating their own little animals.
Which one has been your favourite?
This week’s item was egg cartons and like, toilet paper rolls, there is so much you can do with these cartons. This is another simple craft that doesn’t take much to prep or require too many items. Jack colours inside the lines with everything he does. A frog is green, a bee is yellow etc. Emma, on the other hand likes to colour outside the lines – a bee could be purple, a frog could be orange and a lady bug could have one eye. I have to work really hard to let go when we are doing these creative activities and just let them do what they want rather than what I want. The more we do the more they are getting confident and the easier it is to “leave” them to get on with it rather than me trying to constantly help them.
What you need
- Egg cartons
- Paper – patterned or plain
- Pipe cleaners
- Mini pom poms
- Cut or break the egg cartons up. (Jack was able to do this, it is a great activity to work on their fine motor skills).
- Paint them the colours of the animals you want.
- For the turtle: Glue a green pom pom for the head, glue two small eyes on either side. Cut green pipe cleaners into small pieces for the legs and push them through the sides of the cartons.
- For the bee: Glue two eyes on. Shape a pipe cleaner into the shape of wings, make a hole in the top and push the pipe cleaner through.
- For the lady bugs: Glue two eyes on. Cut out wings from paper – cut out a circle and then cut it in half, glue these on. You can also make the same wings as you did for the bee. You can use toothpicks for their legs.
- For the worm: glue the eyes on voila.
- for the frog: Jack made this one all on his own. Take 3 individual little egg cups. Glue two of them together to make the mouth of the frog. Once dry glue it onto the third one. Cut a long piece of red paper for the tongue. Glue it into the mouth, glue two eyes onto the top of the head. Use pipe cleaners for the legs.