Earlier this year as my business grew I needed more and more time in my day to get work done. Cameron needs to get to swimming straight after school and it’s an 18km trip which means when I add in Jack and Kiara, we were spending almost two hours in the car every single afternoon. This then meant my work day ultimately ended at 13h20.
I started looking at transport companies for him to help out in the afternoon. Kiara and Jack go to school close to home, fetching them literally takes me 15 minutes so it didn’t make sense to get to get someone to pick them up. Both David and I have a meeting on Friday morning and we needed help getting the kids to school so ideally I wanted someone who could do both sets of lifting for us.
I think I have quotes from every transportation company in Pretoria but my ultimate decision did not come down to the cheapest company but rather the one I could rely on.
We have been using Cool (kids’) Cabs for 2 months now and it has made my life infinitely easier. These are a few of the reasons why we went with them over the other services out there.
- You get assigned one driver with “back up” driver. This was a big one for me. If our driver is ill or on leave, there are other drivers that can be used. All the drivers receive the same training which means I don’t have to interview a new driver each time. It also means the kids get to know the person collecting them. Cameron is obviously older and so this isn’t a huge deal for him but it makes it easier with the younger two.
- The are reliable. The drivers who work for Cool (kids’) Cabs are employed full time with them. They do not drive part time or work flexi-hours. This is their full time job so there will always be someone to pick up my children.
- I get updates and notifications. I have anxiety over my kids getting fetched on time, probably more than I should but I want to know that they have been fetched but I do not want to have to phone anyone or do anything myself. Let me explain this, if I am in a meeting I don’t want to have to call Cameron to see if he has been collected, I don’t want to call the driver to check they are on the way. The whole point of paying for a service is to make our lives easier. Cool (kids’) Cabs sends me an sms when the kids are collected and then again when they are dropped off.
- Safety is obviously always a concern but Cameron is big enough not to need a car seat but the younger two do and I need to know they are being transported safely and not squashed into a vehicle with a whole lot of other kids. (Cameron is required to wear a seat belt at all times while in the cab).
- Emma and Jack are walked in to their respective schools. They are not just dropped in the parking lot but rather taken right into their school properties. With younger kids this is super important. I have seen drivers send kids into the schools following another parent while they watch from the car.
Cool (kids’) Cabs have only recently started lifting in Pretoria and while they may not be the cheapest transport service for kids, they are worth every cent in peace of mind and convenience.
Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review nor was I asked to write it. I pay for the service and thought it would be of value to other parents.